13.12.12

Bubble Egg


At MoMA, a two-part installation by Paula Hayes, Nocturn of the Limax Maximus. It consists of a horizontal wall-hung piece (the Slug) and a free-standing, vertical form (the Egg), both of which house rather magical, miniature gardens.
The artblog, January 2011


« Working with glassblowers is an interesting process for me because there are technical drawings that communicate the eventual use of the vessel (what size, where is the opening, what are the relationships of the opening to volume in general, aesthetic ideals, etc.), and then there is, for me, a gestural kind of communication - a type of mime : I draw the shape with my entire body through gesture while standing with the glassblower. I work with glassblowers who have a natural affinity for organic forms and enjoy the adventure of knocking something off kilter a bit. »
Life in a Bubble, Paula Hayes

No comments:

Post a Comment